First tenant of this residence on Keizersgracht 672, in 1672, was Ferdinand Bol, a Dutch painter and former student of Rembrandt. Since 1884 the Van Loon family lived here. Willem van Loon
(1537-1618) was one of the founders of the VOC (Dutch East India Company), and in the 16th century Moor heads were added to the coat of arms of the Van Loon family. Jan van Loon (1677-1763) was
director of the WIC (West India Company) and the Society of Surinam, but the Van Loon family was mainly connected to the VOC. Today the building houses a museum and is open to the public. A
painting in the hallway, by Jan Miense Molenaer (1637), shows the wedding of Willem van Loon and Margaretha Bas. A black man is visible on the right, is he a servant or a status symbol? We don't
now. In 2013 an exhibition was held about the family's own links to colonialism and slavery: Suspended Histories.