Flevopark, Nieuwe Diep
Flevopark, Nieuwe Diep

Walk East

9.9 miles - several restaurants & cafés - 4 parks

Visit: Scheepvaartmuseum, The Black Archives, Tropenmuseum.

Alternative starting point: (A) Amstel Station

 

Wandeling Oost

16,1 kilometer - horeca langs de route - 4 parken

Bezoek: Scheepvaartmuseum, The Black Archives, Tropenmuseum.

Alternatief startpunt: (A) Amstelstation


Runnermaps.nl, route 148255
Runnermaps.nl, route 148255
Download
MLK 5-daagse Oost_148255_track.gpx
GPS eXchange bestand 22.7 KB

Route East

Martin Luther King Park > Amstel > Berlagebrug >

(A) Amstel Station > Park Frankendael > Linnaeuskade > Flevopark > Zeeburgerdijk > Funenpark >

Oostenburgereiland - VOC shipyards, slave ships >

Wittenburg - statue Ship on the Slope VOC >

Bijltjespad - wharf Eendracht, slave ship Leusden >

Scheepvaartmuseum - replica VOC ship Batavia >

former Navy terrain > Wittenburgergracht >

Zeeburgerdijk - The Black Archives >

Tropenmuseum - exhibition Afterlives of Slavery >

Oosterpark - Slavery Monument > Beukenweg >

Krugerplein - Monument against Apartheid and Racism >

Ringdijk > Amstel > Martin Luther King Park

 

Route Oost

Martin Luther Kingpark >  Amstel > Berlagebrug > 

(A) Amstelstation > Park Frankendael > Linnaeuskade > Flevopark >  Zeeburgerdijk > Funenpark>
Oostenburgereiland - VOC scheepswerven, slavenschepen > Wittenburg - beeld Schip op de Helling VOC >

Bijltjespad - werf de Eendracht, slavenschip Leusden > Scheepvaartmuseum - replica VOC schip de Batavia > Marineterrein > Wittenburgergracht >

Zeeburgerdijk - The Black Archives > 

Tropenmuseum - expo Heden van het Slavernijverleden  >

Oosterpark - Slavernijmonument > Beukenweg >

Krugerplein - Monument tegen Apartheid en Racisme > Ringdijk > Amstel > Martin Luther Kingpark

 


Martin Luther King Park, Martin Luther King Day, January 21, 2019
Martin Luther King Park, Martin Luther King Day, January 21, 2019

1. Martin Luther King Park

The park was named after Martin Luther King, Jr. to honor him after his assassination on April 4, 1968. More

Walk north to the Berlagebrug, cross Amstel river and go east along (A) Amstel Station to Park Frankendael.

 

1. Martin Luther Kingpark

Dit park werd vernoemd naar Martin Luther King, Jr. nadat hij was vermoord op 4 april 1968. Meer. Loop noordwaarts en  ga oostwaarts over de Berlagebrug en langs (A) Amstelstation richting Park Frankendael.

 


Park Frankendael
Park Frankendael

2. Park Frankendael

In 1630 the lake Watergraafsmeer was reclaimed. In the 17th and 18th century more than 40 homesteads were built. House Frankendael is the only one that still exists today in Amsterdam. The park has three different styles, a park meadow, formal gardens and work gardens, with ponds and 

footbridges. Walk through the park to the Middenweg and follow the Ringvaart to the Flevo Park.

 

2. Park Frankendael

De Watergraafsmeer werd rond 1630 drooggelegd. In de loop van de 17e en 18e eeuw werden er ruim 40 hofsteden en buitenplaatsen aangelegd. Frankendael is de enig overgebleven buitenplaats van Amsterdam. Het park heeft drie sferen: parkweide, stijltuinen en werktuinen, met  waterpartijen en voetgangersbruggen. Loop door het park, de Middenweg op en volg de Ringvaart naar het Flevopark.

 


Flevopark
Flevopark

3. Flevo Park

In 1928 this park was constructed and in 1943 it was named Flevo Park. The name is derived from Flevo Lake, from where Zuiderzee (today IJsselmeer) was originated. On the westside there is a Jewish cemetery, and is the park is a swimming pool, the Flevoparkbad. Walk along the lake Nieuwe Diep, and follow the Zeeburgerdijk through Funenpark to the island Oostenburg.

 

3. Flevopark

Het Flevopark werd in 1928 aangelegd en kreeg in 1943 zijn naam. De naam is ontleend aan het Flevomeer, waaruit de Zuiderzee, tegenwoordig het IJsselmeer, is ontstaan. Aan de westzijde is een Joodse begraafplaats en in het park is ook een zwembad, het Flevoparkbad. Loop langs het Nieuwe Diep over de Zeeburgerdijk door het Funenpark naar eiland Oostenburg.

 


INIT, head office of 3 Dutch newspapers. Oostenburg island housed many ship yards where VOC and slave ships were built.
INIT, head office of 3 Dutch newspapers. Oostenburg island housed many ship yards where VOC and slave ships were built.

4. Oostenburg

Kattenburg, Wittenburg and Oostenburg together are called the Eastern Islands, built in the 17th century during The Big Urban Expansion in Amsterdam. In 1661 the VOC bought the island where many roughy 500 VOC ships have been built that also transported captured Africans to the Americas. In 1697 czar Peter de Great interned here for 4 months to learn how to build ships. Until 1925, ships were built on the island. Since 2003 the head quarters of Dutch newspapers Het Parool, die Volkskrant and Trouw are located here. Walk to the Poolstraat and cut across to Wittenburgerkade.

4. Oostenburg

Oostenburg vormt met Kattenburg en Wittenburg de Oostelijke eilanden, aangelegd in de 17e eeuw tijdens De Grote Stadsuitleg. In 1661 kocht de VOC het eiland waar scheepswerven werden gevestigd en zo'n 500 schepen werden gebouwd waarmee ook slaafgemaakte Afrikanen werden vervoerd. In 1697 liep tsaar Peter de Grote er 4 maanden stage. Tot 1925 werden hier schepen gebouwd. Sinds 2003 zijn de redacties van Het Parool, Volkskrant en Trouw er gevestigd. Loop naar de Poolstraat en steek door richting de Wittenburgerkade.

 


Ship on the slope, VOC monument by Marius van Beek, Wim Tap and Hank Beelenkamp (1983), between Kleine en Grote Wittenburgerstraat.
Ship on the slope, VOC monument by Marius van Beek, Wim Tap and Hank Beelenkamp (1983), between Kleine en Grote Wittenburgerstraat.

5. Ship on the Slope

On one leg the letter A and the VOC logo (United East India Company) is chiseled and the text: "There is a robber state located at the sea, between East-Friesland and the Schelde River" - Multatuli. This text is part of the complaint the famous book of Multatuli, Max Havelaar, ends with.  In this book Multatuli accuses the Netherlands of exploiting 'Insulinde (Dutch East Indies) the archipelago that swerves around the equator like an emerald belt'. The entrepreneurship and technical skills of the OVC are in shrift contrast with the disgust we feel today for the cruelty of for example Jan Pieterszoon Coen, who massacred almost all of the 15,000 inhabitants of Banda Island. Cross the bridge to Kattenburgerkade.

 

5. Schip op de Helling

Op een staander is de letter A en het VOC-logo (Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie) gebeiteld en de tekst:

"Er ligt een roofstaat aan de zee, tussen Oost-Friesland en de Schelde" - Multatuli. Deze tekst is een onderdeel van de aanklacht, waarmee Multatuli z'n beroemde boek Max Havelaar eindigt. In dit boek klaagt hij de Nederlanden aan, dat ze 'Insulinde, het eilandenrijk, dat zich slingert als een gordel van smaragd om de evenaar' uitbuit. De ondernemingsgeest en technische vaardigheid van de VOC staat naast de afschuw die we nu voelen voor de stuitende wreedheid van bijvoorbeeld Jan Pieterszoon Coen, die bijna alle 15.000 inwoners van Banda Eiland uitmoordde . Loop over de brug links naar de Kattenburgerkade.

 


Location of wharf De Eendracht, Kattenburgerkade/Bijltjespad, where slave ship Leusden was built in 1719
Location of wharf De Eendracht, Kattenburgerkade/Bijltjespad, where slave ship Leusden was built in 1719

6. Slave ship Leusden

On ship yard De Eendracht slave ship Leusden was built by the WIC (West Indies Company) in 1719. This ship sank in the mouth of the Marowijne River on January 1, 1738, and 664 enslaved Africans drowned in the hold, that was boarded up by the crew. It is the deadliest and most horrifying shipwreck in the history of the Netherlands. Walk through the Bijltjespad to the former Navy terrain, located next to the Scheepvaartmuseum.

 

6. Slavenschip Leusden

Op scheepswerf De Eendracht werd door de WIC (West Indische Compagnie) slavenschip Leusden gebouwd. Dit schip verging op 1 januari 1738 in de monding van de Marowijnerivier in Suriname en 664 slaafgemaakte Afrikanen verdronken in het dichtgetimmerde ruim. Het is de grootste scheepsramp in de Nederlandse geschiedenis. Loop verder via het Bijltjespad naar het voormalig marineterrein naast het Scheepvaartmuseum.

 


VOC warehouse ‘s Lands Zeemagazijn, Kattenburgerplein 1, was built in 1656. Today it houses the Scheepvaartmuseum
VOC warehouse ‘s Lands Zeemagazijn, Kattenburgerplein 1, was built in 1656. Today it houses the Scheepvaartmuseum

7. Scheepvaartmuseum

The VOC warehouse 's Lands Zeemagazijn was built in 1656. In those days canons, canvases, flags and marine equipment for the battle fleet was stored. Later on it became a warehouse for the navy until in 1973 the Scheepvaartmuseum was located here, which has the world's second largest maritime collection. Follow the Wittenburgergracht and Zeeburgerstraat to the Zeeburgerdijk. 

 

7. Scheepvaartmuseum

Het VOC pakhuis 's Lands Zeemagazijn werd gebouwd in 1656. Er werden werden kanonnen, zeilen, vlaggen en scheepsuitrusting voor de oorlogsvloot opgeslagen. Later werd het een pakhuis voor de marine totdat er in1973 het Scheepvaartmuseum werd geopend met de op een na grootste maritieme collectie ter wereld. Loop via de Wittenburgergracht en Zeeburgerstraat naar de Zeeburgerdijk. 

 


The Black Archives, Zeeburgerdijk 19B. Association Our Surinam (VOS), since 1919, is located here as well.
The Black Archives, Zeeburgerdijk 19B. Association Our Surinam (VOS), since 1919, is located here as well.

8. VOS and The Black Archives

The Hugo Olijfveldhuis is located on Zeeburgerdijk 19, where Association Our Surinam (VOS) has their head quarters since 1919. After WWII VOS became a breeding ground for the independence of the Dutch colony Surinam, under the leadership of Otto Huiswoud. The Black Archives is a unique historical archive with more than 3000 books. The archive can be visited by appointment. Walk through Roomtuintjes and Commelinstraat to Tropenmuseum.

 

8. VOS en The Black Archives

Aan Zeeburgerdijk 19 staat het Hugo Olijfveldhuis, waar sinds 1919 Vereniging Ons Suriname is gevestigd. Na de Tweede Wereldoorlog ontwikkelde de VOS zich onder voorzitter Otto Huiswoud tot broedplaats voor de onafhankelijkheid. The Black Archives is een uniek historisch archief van meer dan 3000 boeken. Het archief is op afspraak te bezoeken. Loop via Roomtuintjes en Commelinstraat naar het Tropenmuseum.

 


Tropenmuseum, Linnaeusstraat 2, used to be a Colonial Museum, and today a decolonial museum of world cultures.
Tropenmuseum, Linnaeusstraat 2, used to be a Colonial Museum, and today a decolonial museum of world cultures.

9. Tropenmuseum

The Tropenmuseum was founded in 1864 to show the colonial possessions of the Netherlands. In the 1970's the focus shifted to more social issues. Nowadays there are several interesting exhibitions and also a permanent show called Afterlives of Slavery. Walk through the Oosterpark to the National Monument of Slavery History.

 

9. Tropenmuseum

Het Tropenmuseum is in 1864 opgericht om de koloniale bezittingen te tonen. In de 70er jaren van de vorig eeuw werd de focus meer gelegd op sociale issues. Tegenwoordig is er een permanente tentoonstelling Heden van het slavernijverlden en wisselende exposities.  Wandel door het Oosterpark naar het Monument voor het Slavernijverleden.

 


National Slavery Monument, in the southwest corner of the Oosterpark by Erwin de Vries (2002)
National Slavery Monument, in the southwest corner of the Oosterpark by Erwin de Vries (2002)

10. National Slavery Monument

Every year on July 1 during Keti Koti (broken chains) the abolishment of slavery in 1863 is commemorated and celebrated. After a colorful march through the city, there is a laying of wreath at the Slavery Monument and then the Keti Koti festival starts in the Oosterpark. After the abolishment the freed people were obliged to work another 10 years without payment. That's why sometimes the year of 1873 is seen as the real year of the end of slavery. Walk along the Beukenweg to the Krugerplein.

 

10. Nationaal Slavernijmonument

Elk jaar wordt op 1 juli tijdens Keti Koti (Gebroken Ketenen)  de afschaffing van de slavernij in 1863 herdacht en gevierd. Na een kleurrijk optocht door de stad, is er een plechtigheid en kranslegging bij het Slavernijmonument, gevolgd door het Keti Koti festival in het Oosterpark. Omdat de vrijgemaakten verplicht waren nog 10 jaar lang voor niets te werken, wordt soms ook het jaar 1873 als jaar van de werkelijke afschaffing van de slavernij aangehouden. Loop via de Beukenweg naar het Krugerplein.

 


Monument against Apartheid and Racism, Krugerplein, by Pépé Grégoire (1986)
Monument against Apartheid and Racism, Krugerplein, by Pépé Grégoire (1986)

11. Monument against Apartheid

On the Krugerplein you find the Monument against Apartheid and Racism by Pépé Grégoire that was revealed in 1986, to celebrate the opening of office of the South African anti-apartheid movement ANC (African National Congress) in Amsterdam. In 1990, apartheid was abolished, and Nelson Mandela was set free, after 27 years of captivity. In 1994 Nelson Mandela became president. Follow Ringdijk and Berlagebrug to the Martin Luther King Park.

 

Printable PDF, text and route English

Download
MLK Five Days_Walk East.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document 2.1 MB

11. Monument tegen Apartheid

Op het Krugerplein staat het Monument tegen Apartheid en Racisme van Pépé Grégoire, dat in 1986 werd onthuld, om de opening te vieren van het kantoor van de Zuid-Afrikaanse anti-apartheidsbeweging ANC (Afrikaans Nationaal Congres)  in Amsterdam. In 1990 werd Nelson Mandela na 27 jaar gevangenschap vrijgelaten en werd de apartheid afgeschaft.  In 1994 werd Nelson Mandela president. Loop via de Ringdijk en Berlagebrug door naar het Martin Luther Kingpark.

 

Printbare PDF, tekst en route Nederlands

Download
MLK Vijfdaagse_Wandeling Oost.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document 2.0 MB