Amstel River, view on Amsteldijk
Amstel River, view on Amsteldijk

Walk Center

Day 1, Saturday, March 21, 2020.

On Dam square the demonstration against racism and discrimination will be joined.

10.5 miles - lots of restaurants & cafés - 2 parks

Visit Anne Frank House, Amsterdam Museum

Museum Van Loon

Alternative starting point: (A) Amsterdam Central Station

 

Printable PDF, route and text English

Download
MLK Five Days_Walk Center.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document 2.9 MB

Wandeling Centrum

Dag 1, zaterdag 21 maart 2020.

Op de Dam wordt aangesloten bij de demonstratie tegen racisme en discriminatie.

17,2 km - veel horeca langs de route - 2 parken

Bezoek Anne Frank Huis, Amsterdam Museum,

Museum Van Loon

Alternatief startpunt: (A) Amsterdam CS

 

Printbare PDF, route en tekst Nederlands

Download
MLK Vijfdaagse_Wandeling Centrum.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document 2.9 MB

Runnermaps.nl, route 161787
Runnermaps.nl, route 161787
Download
MLK 5-daagse Centrum_161787_track.gpx
XML document 23.5 KB

Route Center

Martin Luther King Park > Weesperzijde > Amstel >

Berlagebrug > Nieuwe Keizersgracht > Weesperstraat > Jonas Daniël Meijerplein > Weesperplantsoen - Holocaust Monument (to be erected) > Jonas Daniël Meijerplein > Dock Worker - Start silent march for Dr. King in 1968 > Wertheim Park - Auschwitz Monument > Anne Frankstraat > Nieuwe Herengracht > Rapenburgplein > Oosterdok > Mr. J.J. van der Veldebrug > Oosterdokskade > OBA library - Owner MLK statue > Schreierstoren - Start Hudson's voyage > Stationplein - (A) Amsterdam Central Station > Haarlemmerstraat > Herenmarkt - West-India House, WIC > Haarlemmerdijk > Buiten Oranjestraat > Grote Bickersstraat > Bickerseiland - Regents Bicker in 16th & 17th century >

Realengracht > Prinseneiland - Black Heritage Tours >

Brouwersgracht > Prinsengracht >

Torensluis - Statue of Multatuli, anti-colonial writer >

Wester Church - service for Dr. King in 1968,  Anne Frank House, Gay Monument > Reestraat 6 - House where Anton de Kom lived > Dam - Monument WOII, Kerwin Duinmeijer died here > Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal > Sint Luciënsteeg >

Walk through the Amsterdam Museum arcade, Martin Luther King statue > Rokin 64 - House with the Moor >

Herengracht 502 - Mayor's residence, slavery >

Herengracht 518 - Albert Geelvinck, slaver trader >

Herengracht 546 - Jan Bernd Bicker, 18th century >

Keizersgracht 672 - Museum Van Loon, slavery >

Frederiksplein, Monument Walraven van Hall >

Amsteldijk > Martin Luther King Park

 

Route Centrum

Martin Luther Kingpark > Weesperzijde > Amstel >

Berlagebrug > Nieuwe Keizersgracht > Weesperstraat > Weesperplantsoen - Toekomstig Holocaust Monument > Jonas Daniël Meijerplein > De Dokwerker - Stille optocht voor Dr. King in 1968 > Wertheimpark - Auschwitzmonument  > Anne Frankstraat > Nieuwe Herengracht > Rapenburgplein > Oosterdok > Mr. J.J. van der Veldebrug> Oosterdokskade > OBA - Eigenaar MLK beeldje > Schreierstoren - Start ontdekkingsreis Hudson > Stationplein - (A) Amsterdam CS > Haarlemmerstraat >

Herenmarkt - West-Indisch Huis, WIC hoofdkantoor >

Haarlemmerdijk > Buiten Oranjestraat > Grote Bickersstraat > Bickerseiland - Regentenfamilie in de 16e & 17e eeuw >

Realengracht > Prinseneiland - Black Heritage Tours >

Brouwersgracht > Prinsengracht >

Torensluis - Beeld van Multatuli, auteur van Max Havelaar >

Westerkerk - dienst voor Dr. King in 1968,  Anne Frankhuis, Homomonument > Reestraat 6 - Woonhuis Anton de Kom >

Dam - Monument op de Dam, Kerwin Duinmeijer stierf hier>

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal > Sint Luciënsteeg > Loop door de Amsterdam Galerij van Amsterdam Museum, Martin Luther Kingbeeldje > Rokin 64 - Huis met de Moor >

Herengracht 502, Ambtswoning, slavernij >

Herengracht 518, Albert Geelvinck, slavenhandelaar >

Herengracht 546 - Jan Bernd Bicker, 18e eeuw >

Keizersgracht 672 - Museum Van Loon, slavernij >

Frederiksplein, Monument Walraven van Hall >

Amsteldijk > Martin Luther Kingpark

 


1. Martin Luther King Park

The park was named after Martin Luther King, Jr. to honor him after his assassination on April 4, 1968. More

Walk north, cross the Berlage Bridge and walk north along the Amstel River, cross the canal and go right to the Nieuwe Keizersgracht, turn left to Weesperplantsoen, where the Holocaust Monument will be erected. Follow the Weesperstraat to the Jonas Daniël Meijerplein.

1. Martin Luther Kingpark

Dit park werd vernoemd naar Martin Luther King, Jr. nadat hij was vermoord op 4 april 1968. Meer

Loop noordwaarts, ga over de Berlagebrug en loop verder langs de Amstel, ga over het water rechts de Nieuwe Keizersgracht op, en linksaf langs het Weesperplantsoen, waar het Holocaustmonument wordt gerealiseerd. Volg de Weesperstraat tot het Jonas Daniël Meijerplein.

 


Jonas Daniël Meijerplein, the Dock Worker by Mari Andriessen (1952)
Jonas Daniël Meijerplein, the Dock Worker by Mari Andriessen (1952)

2. The Dock Worker

On April 7, 1968, three days after his death, a large remembrance walk for Martin Luther King was held in Amsterdam. It started at the statue Dock Worker. This statue commemorates the February Strike, on February 25, 1941, during World War II. Amsterdammers didn't take it any longer and went on strike, when even shops and bars became prohibited for Jews. Every year this is remembered.

Walk along the Nieuwe Herengracht and cross the bridge to the Wertheim Park.

 

2. De Dokwerker

Op 7 april 1968, drie dagen na de dood van Martin Luther King, werd er een stille tocht georganiseerd. Deze startte bij de Dokwerker. Dit beeld herinnert aan de Februaristaking op 25 februari 1941, tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog. Amsterdammers pikten het niet langer en gingen staken toen zelfs winkels en café's verboden gebied werden voor Joden. Deze staking wordt hier elk jaar herdacht. Loop langs de Nieuwe Herengracht en ga de brug over naar het Wertheimpark.

 


Wertheim Park, Auschwitz Monument; broken mirrors by Jan Wolkers 1977/1993
Wertheim Park, Auschwitz Monument; broken mirrors by Jan Wolkers 1977/1993

3. Auschwitz Monument

Every year at the third Sunday of January the 1.3 million victims of Auschwitz are remembered at the Broken Mirrors Monument by Dutch artist and writer Jan Wolkers: "Heaven will be damaged forever. It is a god-awful attack on everything man stands for". Continue over the Anne Frankstraat bridge to Oosterdok, along NEMO, cross the Mr. J.J. van der Velde Bridge along OBA (MLK-statue, books, exhibitions, toilet, restaurant). Go left, cross the Ode Bridge and go right to the Prins Hendrikkade.

 

3. Auschwitzmonument

Elk jaar op de 3e zondag van januari worden de 1,3 miljoen slachtoffers van Auschwitz herdacht bij het Spiegelmonument van Jan Wolkers: "De hemel blijft voorgoed geschonden. Het is een godsgruwelijke aanslag op alles waar een mens voor staat". Loop verder over de brug op de Anne Frankstraat naar het Oosterdok, langs de museumhaven, NEMO en over de Mr. J.J. van der Veldebrug langs de OBA (MLK-beeldje, boeken, toilet, horeca). Ga links over de Odebrug en rechtsaf de Prins Hendrikkade op.

 


From the Museum Harbour you see the replica of VOC ship Amsterdam at Scheepvaartmuseum
From the Museum Harbour you see the replica of VOC ship Amsterdam at Scheepvaartmuseum
Prins Hendrikkade 94-95, Schreierstoren, left the tower of Zuiderkerk and right the Oude Kerk
Prins Hendrikkade 94-95, Schreierstoren, left the tower of Zuiderkerk and right the Oude Kerk

4. Schreiers Toren

This defense tower was built in 1487 and was part of the Amsterdam city wall, the first fortifications that were built from 1481. It was a strategic viewpoint for the Amsterdam harbor and the Zuiderzee. From this point Henry Hudson, employed by the VOC, sailed to the West in 1609 to find a Northern passageway but he ended up 200 km upstream the Hudson River. 

It is said that the name Schreierstoren (Criers Tower) comes from the women that weeped when they waved at their departing husbands. But that is questionable because the Tower was called Schrayershoektoren because the city wall at this point made a sharp angle (schray = sharp, not 'cry').

Follow Prins Hendrikkade along Amsterdam Central Station, a curve to the left and then right to the Haarlemmerstraat.

 

4. Schreierstoren

Deze verdedigingstoren dateert uit 1487 en was onderdeel van de stadsmuur van Amsterdam, de eerste verdedigingswerken die vanaf 1481 werden aangelegd. Het was een strategisch uitkijkpunt dat zowel de Zuiderzee als de haven van Amsterdam overzag. Van hier vertrok in 1609 Henry Hudson, die in dienst van de VOC op zoek ging naar een Noordelijke doorgang en in de Hudson rivier terechtkwam. Er wordt gezegd dat de naam van de Schreierstoren komt van de vrouwen die hier huilden als ze hun man uitzwaaiden. Maar dat is zeer de vraag want vroeger heette het de Schrayershoucktoren omdat de stadsmuur hier een scherpe hoek maakte (schray = scherp).

Volg de Prins Hendrikkade voor (A) Amsterdam CS langs, bochtje naar links en dan rechts de Haarlemmerstraat op.

 


Herenmarkt 99, West India House, from 1623-1647 headquarters of WIC (West India Company)
Herenmarkt 99, West India House, from 1623-1647 headquarters of WIC (West India Company)

5. West India House (WIC)

In this building, the West India House, in 1625, the board of the West India Company (WIC) planned the building of a fortress on Manhattan that late became New York City. Slave trade was the most important shipping activity by the WIC. From 1674 to 1740 the company sailed 383 ships. The WIC transported and traded more than 550,000 enslaved Africans in these years. Go right to Buiten Oranjestraat and continue to Grote Bickerstraat, go left to the Realengracht and then left over the Three Herring Bridge.

 

5. West-Indisch Huis (WIC)

Bevelhebbers van de West-Indische Compagnie (WIC) gaven in 1625 in het West-Indisch Huis opdracht tot de bouw van een fort op het eiland Manhattan, het latere New York. De slavenhandel vormde de omvangrijkste scheepvaartactiviteit van de WIC. In de periode 1674-1740 heeft de compagnie 383 schepen uitgereed en meer dan 550.000 tot slaaf gemaakte Afrikanen verhandeld. Ga rechts de Buiten Oranjestraat in, loop verder over de Grote Bickerstraat, links Realengracht en weer links over de Drieharingenbrug.

 


Drieharingenbrug at Realeneiland. Bridge number 320 of the more than 1900 bridges in Amsterdam.
Drieharingenbrug at Realeneiland. Bridge number 320 of the more than 1900 bridges in Amsterdam.

6. Western Islands

Bickers Island, Realen Island and Prinsen Island were build during the Third City Extension between 1611 and 1615. These islands created more space for ship yards and warehouses of the WIC, in the harbour of Amsterdam. Members of the Bicker family were rulers on Amsterdam for centuries, and also involved in slave trade. Cornelis Bicker (1592-1654) was for example merchant on America, trader in sugar and one of the founders and director of the WIC. He was mayor of Amsterdam three times. Walk over Prinsen Island, Black Heritage Tours is located here. Continue to Haarlemmerdijk, Brouwersgracht, Prinsengracht, Prinsenstraat and Singel to Torensluis.

 

6. Westelijke Eilanden

Bickerseiland, Realeneiland en Prinseneiland zijn aangelegd tijdens de Derde Uitleg tussen 1611 en 1615. Deze gaven de WIC meer ruimte voor scheepswerven en pakhuizen grenzend aan de haven. Leden van de Bickerfamilie waren eeuwenlang machthebbers in Amsterdam, en ook betrokken bij de slavenhandel. Cornelis Bicker (1592-1654) was bijvoorbeeld koopman op Amerika, handelaar in suiker en één van de oprichters en bewindhebber van de WIC. Tot driemaal toe was hij burgemeester. Loop over Prinseneiland, waar Black Heritage Tours is gevestigd. Loop via Haarlemmerdijk, Brouwersgracht, Prinsengracht, Prinsenstraat en Singel naar Torensluis.

 


Torensluis, statue of Multatuli by Hans Bayens (1987)
Torensluis, statue of Multatuli by Hans Bayens (1987)

7. Multatuli

Max Havelaar (1860) is a famous satirical novel about the Dutch colonial rule in Indonesia. Amsterdam writer Multatuli (Eduard Douwes Dekker, 1820-1887), lived in Batavia (nowadays Jakarta) and saw all violence and wrongdoing. In 2002 Multatuli was proclaimed the most important writer of all time. This year 2020 is the Multatuli Year, it was 200 years ago that he was born. Follow Oude Leliestraat and Leliegracht, cross the canal, and go left to the Keizersgracht to the Westermarkt, an important square.

 

7. Multatuli

De Max Havelaar (1860) is een beroemde roman over koloniale overheersing van Nederland over Indonesië. De Amsterdammer Multatuli (Eduard Douwes Dekker 1820-1887), woonde vanaf 1839 in Batavia (Jakarta) en zag daar alle misstanden. In 2002 werd Multatuli tot belangrijkste schrijver ooit aangewezen. Dit jaar 2020 is het Multatuli-jaar, hij werd 200 jaar geleden geboren. Loop verder over Oude Leliestraat en Leliegracht, over de Keizersgracht linksaf naar de Westermarkt, een belangrijk plein.

 


Westerkerk at the Westermarkt, built in 1620-1631
Westerkerk at the Westermarkt, built in 1620-1631

8. Wester Church

On April 6, 1968 there was a memorial service to pay tribute to Martin Luther King, attended by 1800 people. The day after a silent protest march with 400 people ended at the Westermarkt at the foot of the Wester Church (Westerkerk). People were carrying slogans like "America this was your last chance, this is war you declare to us", "Nonviolence and Civil Rights", "Who sows napalm, will reap violence", "If you don't listen??? We burn baby, and be killed". After the march, performer Otto Sterman read a poem. On this site also the Anne Frank house (and Anne Frank statue by Mari Andriessen, 1977) and the Homomonument (gay monument by Karin Daan, 1979), which makes a strong statement that history must not be repeated: "Never again". The monument goes beyond commemorating just the victims of World War II. It also commemorates all LGBTI people who have been or are still being persecuted by government regimes. Go left to the Prinsengracht and take the first left to the Reestraat.

 

8. Westerkerk

Op 6 april 1968 was er een herdenkingsdienst voor Martin Luther King, die bezocht werd door 1800 mensen. De volgende dag was er een stille tocht met 400 deelnemers die aan de voet van de Westertoren eindigde. Er waren leuzen te lezen als 'Wie napalm zaait zal geweld oogsten', "America this was your last chance, this is war you declare to us", "If you don't listen??? We burn baby, and be killed". Na de protestmars werd er een gedicht voorlezen door Otto Sterman. Hier op de Westermarkt is ook het Anne Frankhuis (en standbeeld, door Mari Andriessen, 1977) en het Homomonument (door Karin Daan, 1979), een statement dat de geschiedenis zich niet mag herhalen. Het monument herdenkt niet alleen de slachtoffers uit WOII maar ook alle  LGBTQI die worden vervolgd in andere landen. Het is een betekenisvolle plek om na te denken over diversiteit en inclusiviteit. Loop linksaf de Prinsengracht op en rechts naar de Reestraat.

 


Reestraat 6,  in the 'Nine Streets' neighborhood
Reestraat 6, in the 'Nine Streets' neighborhood

9. House of Anton de Kom

Surinamese writer and WWII resistance fighter Anton de Kom, lived at Reestraat 9, in the 'Nine Streets' neighborhood. He wrote the famous novel 'We slaves of Surinam' (1934). A new edition was printed in 2020 (tip!). He is a hero in Surinam but not enough know in the Netherlands. A statue to honor him was erected at Anton de Kom Square, included in Walk Southeast.

Continue to Paleisstraat and Dam Square.

 

9. Woning Anton de Kom

Surinaams anti-koloniaal schrijver en verzetsstrijder Anton de Kom woonde in 1935 op Reestraat 6. Hij schreef het beroemde boek 'Wij slaven van Suriname' (1934), waarvan in 2020 een nieuwe uitgave verscheen (tip!). Hij is een held in Suriname en in Nederland niet voldoende bekend. Om hem te eren staat er een standbeeld op het Anton de Komplein, opgenomen in  Wandeling Zuidoost.

Loop verder over de Paleisstraat naar de Dam.

 


National World War II Monument on Dam Square by J.J.P. Oud (1956)
National World War II Monument on Dam Square by J.J.P. Oud (1956)
Royal Palace, design by Jacob van Kampen, built 1648-1665.
Royal Palace, design by Jacob van Kampen, built 1648-1665.

10. Dam Square

Every year on May 4, the victims of World War II are being remembered on Dam Square with two minutes of silence and a wreath-laying. Also on Dam Square the 15-year old Kerwin Lucas from the Antilles, was stabbed by a skinhead, a racist murder. Every year this is commemorated, because we must not forget. In Vondel Park there is a statue to remember Kerwin, it is included in Walk West.

Walk along the Nieuwe Kerk around the Royal Palace Amsterdam (built 1648-1665), that was the Amsterdam city hall until 1808. It is open to the public and can be visited. Walk southbound via Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal and Sint Luciënsteeg to the Amsterdam Gallery of the Amsterdam Museum.

 

10. De Dam

Elk jaar worden op 4 mei op de Dam de slachtoffers van de Tweede Wereldoorlog herdacht met twee minuten stilte en een kranslegging. Ook stierf hier op 20 augustus 1983 de 15-jarige Antilliaanse jongen Kerwin Lucas, een racistische moord. Elk jaar wordt dit nog herdacht, omdat wij niet mogen vergeten. In het Vondelpark staat een beeld ter herinnering aan Kerwin, te zien in Wandelroute West. 

Loop langs de Nieuwe Kerk (interessante exposities) en om Koninklijk Paleis Amsterdam (gebouwd 1648-1665) dat tot 1808 het stadhuis van Amsterdam was en te bezichtigen is. Loop zuidwaarts over de Nieuwzijds Voorburgwal en Sint Luciënstreeg naar de Amsterdam Galerij van het Amsterdam Museum.

 


Sint Luciënsteeg, Amsterdam Galerij of the Amsterdam Museum
Sint Luciënsteeg, Amsterdam Galerij of the Amsterdam Museum

11. Amsterdam Museum

The Amsterdam Gallery can be visite for free. Het 43-yards-long carpet by Artist Barbara Broekman represents all 179 nationalities who live in Amsterdam. During the Selma 55 Remembrance Walk there will be a Martin Luther King statue on view. Amsterdam Museum brings the history of Amsterdam to life in all it's aspects. That's why they decided not to use the term 'Golden Age' any more to denote the period of the 17th century, because it does not adequately reflect the realities of this period, like exploitation, poverty and slavery. Walk to the Kalverstraat and turn left and right to the Duifjessteeg and then right to Rokin, to number 64.

 

11. Amsterdam Museum

De Amsterdam Galerij is gratis te bezoeken. Het 40 meter lange tapijt van kunstenaar Barbara Broekman verbeeldt alle 179 nationaliteiten die in Amsterdam wonen. Tijdens de 55-jarige herdenking van Selma staat hier een Martin Luther Kingbeeldje. Amsterdam Museum brengt de geschiedenis van Amsterdam tot leven in al haar facetten. Daarom gebruiken ze de term 'Gouden Eeuw' niet meer om de 17e eeuw aan te duiden, omdat het niet de volledige realiteit van deze tijd weergeeft, zoals uitbuiting, armoe en slavernij. 

Loop naar de Kalverstraat en ga links en dan rechts door de Duifjessteeg en rechts het Rokin op tot nummer 64.

 


Rokin 64: look up when passing the T-Mobile store, you will see the Black Moor on top of the building.
Rokin 64: look up when passing the T-Mobile store, you will see the Black Moor on top of the building.

12. The Black Moor

Slave trader Bartholomeus Moor (1573-1633) placed a 'moor' on every house he lived in. Moor heads can be found on several Amsterdam buildings, in family crests and in museums. Look up, the gavelstone of the moor is on top of this five-story building Rokin 64 (T-Molbile shop). In 1614 Moor and 33 stakeholders signed  for the transport and insurance of the 'cargo' of a ship full of enslaved Africans on the slave ship Angel Michael. One of the heirs of Rokin 64, Daniel Bernard (1626- 1714) was the director of the colony Society of Surinam in 1689, and he was also involved in slave trade. Follow Rokin, walk past the Munt Tower (the lower part of this tower was built between 1480 and 1487 and was part of the Reguliers Gate, one of the three main gates to enter the city and part of the first fortification of Amsterdam), follow the Vijzelstraat and over the canal go left onto the Herengracht (even side).

 

12. Gevel met de Moor

Slavenhandelaar Barthelomeus Moor (1573-1636) plaatste een 'moor' op elk huis waar hij woonde. Morenkoppen zijn te zien op Amsterdamse gebouwen, in familiewapens en musea.  Kijk omhoog en zie de gevelsteen op de 5e verdieping van Rokin 64 (T-Mobile winkel). In 1614 tekende Moor samen met 33 aandeelhouders voor het transport en verzekering van de 'vracht' van een schip vol tot slaaf gemaakte Afrikanen op het slavenschip Engel Michiel. Een van de erfgenamen van Rokin 64, Daniel Bernard (1626-1714) was in 1689 directeur van Sociëteit Suriname, en had met slavenhandel te maken. Volg het Rokin, loop langs de Munttoren (het onderste deel is gebouwd tussen 1480 en 1487 en maakte deel uit van de Regulierspoort, een van de drie hoofdpoorten van de vestingwerken van Amsterdam), volg de Vijzelstraat en ga over de Herengracht linksaf langs de even zijde.

 


Herengracht 502, House with the Columns
Herengracht 502, House with the Columns

13. Mayor's Residence

House with the Columns, Herengracht 502 in Amsterdam, is the mayor's residence. In the 17th century Paulus Godin (1615-1690) lived here. He was governor of WIC (West India Company) and director of the colony 'Society of Surinam'. He was member of commissions like 'Coasts of Africa' and 'Slavery Business'. His name is found on a 1677 WIC contract for the delivery of 1600 to 1800 slaves to Curaçao, to be shipped onto the Spanish West Indies (Cuba and Puerto Rico). He became very wealthy, proven by this house. In 2006 a marker was placed by the front door. Since 1927 this is the residence of the mayor of Amsterdam. On Herengracht 518 lived slave trader Albert Geelvinck and on Herengracht 546 lived Jan Bernd Bicker. Go right to Utrechtsestraat and right to the Keizersgracht (even side).

 

13. Burgemeesterswoning

Huis met de kolommen, Herengracht 502, is de ambtswoning. Slavenhandelaar Paulus Godin (1615-1690) woonde hier. Hij was bewindhebber van de WIC en van de kolonie Sociëteit van Suriname. Godin had zitting in WIC-commissies als ‘Tot de custen van Africa’ en ‘Tot de saaken van de slavehandel’. Zijn naam staat op een WIC contract uit 1677 voor de levering van 1600 tot 1800 slaafgemaakten naar Curaçao, te verschepen naar de Spaans-West-Indië (Cuba en Puerto Rico). In 2006 werd voor het pand een plaquette geplaatst. Sinds 1927 is het ambtswoning van de Amsterdamse burgemeester. Op Herengracht 518 woonde slavenhandelaar Albert Geelvinck en op Herengracht 546 woonde Jan Bernd Bicker. Ga rechtsaf de Utrechtsestraat op en rechts over de even zijde van de Keizersgracht.

 


Keizersgracht 672, Museum Van Loon
Keizersgracht 672, Museum Van Loon

14. Museum Van Loon

Willem van Loon (1537-1618) was one of the founders of the VOC (Dutch East India Company), and in the 16th century three Moor heads were added to the coat of arms of the Van Loon family. Today the building houses Museum Van Loon, and is open to the public. A painting in the hallway, by Jan Miense Molenaer (1637), shows the wedding of Willem van Loon and Margaretha Bas. A black man is visible on the right, is he a servant or a status symbol? Go left to the Vijzelstraat and left again to the Prinsengracht. Go right and follow Utrechtsestraat to the Frederiksplein.

 

14. Museum van Loon

Willen van Loon (1537-1618) was een van de oprichters van de VOC (Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie) en in de 16e eeuw werden de drie morenkoppen toegevoegd aan het familiewapen. Nu is op Keizersgracht 672 Museum van Loon te bezoeken. In de hal hangt het huwelijksschilderij van Willem van Loon en Margaretha Bas (door Jan Miense, 1637). Er staat een zwarte man rechts op het schilderij, is hij een bediende of een statussymbool? Ga linksaf naar de Vijzelstraat en weer links de Prinsengracht op en ga rechtsaf over de Utrechtsestraat naar het Frederiksplein.

 


Frederiksplein, Monument Walraven van Hall by Fernando Sánchez Castillo (2010)
Frederiksplein, Monument Walraven van Hall by Fernando Sánchez Castillo (2010)

15. Monument Walraven van Hall

Wally van Hall (1906-1945) was banker and resistance fighters in WWII. In 1943 he co-founded the National Support Fund (NSF), also known as Bank of the Resistance. They thought of smart ways to get money, like "the largest bank fraud in Dutch history" and supported persons in hiding and the resistance. Walraven had many aliases: Van Tuyl, Barends, Uncle Pete and the most well known: the Oil Man. In 1945 he was shot to death, short before the war ended. In 2010 a bronze monument of a fallen tree was revealed, close to the Duch Central Bank. Continue through Oosteinde, go left to Stadhouderskade, go right and walk along Amstel River to the Martin Luther King Park.

 

Printable PDF, route and text English

Download
MLK Five Days_Walk Center.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document 2.9 MB

15. Monument Walraven van Hall

Wally van Hall (1906-1945) was bankier en verzetsstrijder in WOII. In 1943 richtte hij het Nationaal Steunfonds (NSF) op, ook bekend als de Bank van het Verzet. Ze kwamen op slimme manieren aan geld zoals "de grootse bankfraude uit de Nederlandse geschiedenis" en steunden daarmee onderduikers en verzetsstrijders. Walraven had vele schuilnamen: Van Tuyl, Barends, Oom Piet en de bekendste: de Olieman. In 1945 werd hij gefusilleerd. In 2010 werd vlakbij de Nederlandsche Bank dit bronzen monument van een gevallen boom onthuld. Loop verder over Oosteinde, linksaf Stadhouderskade en rechtsaf langs de Amstel tot aan het Martin Luther Kingpark.

 

Printbare PDF, route en tekst Nederlands

Download
MLK Vijfdaagse_Wandeling Centrum.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document 2.9 MB